The 3rd Annual Oak Cliff Film Festival took place June 19-22, 2014 at the historic Texas Theatre, Kessler Theatre, Bishop Arts Theatre Center, and other venues in Oak Cliff. OCFF 2014 honored the legacy of pioneering photographer Edweard Muybridge, whose innovations included the zoopraxiscope. The zoopraxiscope, device many consider to be the first movie projector, led to the development of Thomas Edison’s kinetoscope, the first commercial exhibition system. The 2014 fest highlighted the craft, artistry, and tradition of film going all the way back to Muybridge.
- Screened a 35mm print of Dog Day Afternoon featuring a talk-back with P.F. Kluge, the author of the original article on which the film was based.
- 2nd festival to screen Listen Up Philip (after Sundance) with director Alex Ross Perry and producers in attendance. Billed as a secret screening.
- 35mm print of Eadweard Muybridge, Zoopraxographer with filmmaker Thom Andersen.
- Live performance from Negativland.
- Filmmaker karaoke appearance from Tim DeLaughter, founder of Tripping Daisy and The Polyphonic Spree!
- Other 35mm prints included Peeping Tom and Stop Making Sense.
- Notable guests: Alex Ross Perry, P.F. Kluge, Joel Potrykus, David Lowery, Thom Andersen, Brandon Harris (Filmmaker Magazine), Matt Grady (Factory 25).
- Chase Whale
- Zach Clark
- James M. Johnston
- Matt Grady
- Peter Simek
- Melina McKinnon Cain
- Tom Aberg
- Mike Morris
- Clay Liford
- Tom Anderson
- Barton Weiss
- Eugene Martin
Narrative Feature Competition
Special Jury Award – Limo Ride by Gideon Kennedy and Marcus Rosentrater
Grand Jury Award – Wild Canaries by Lawrence Levine
Documentary Feature Competition
Special Jury Award – Fight Church by Daniel Junge and Bryan Storkel
Grand Jury Award – Yakona by Anlo Sepulveda and Paul Collins
Best Narrative Short:
Special Jury Award – Rat Pack Rat by Todd Rohal
Grand Jury Award – SEND by Peter Vack
Best Documentary Short:
Special Jury Award – The Silly Bastard Next to the Bed by Scott Calonico
Grand Jury Award – The Man Without Words by Zack Godshall
Best Student Short:
Special Jury Award – camchat by Blake Pruitt
Grand Jury Award – Housekeeping by Catherine Licata
Muybridge Filmmaking Award
Yakona by Anlo Sepulveda and Paul Collins